How to prepare for Interview
How to prepare for an Interview is a situation almost all candidates face these days. Whether the candidate is preparing for entrance into a B-School or trying for a job,all have to face the stresses of an interview. All companies have a strict procedure when it comes to selection of the candidate. The interview is the most difficult and decisive method for selection of the candidates. One can find below many tips on how to prepare for an Interview. Candidates need to go through these points as they will help by giving them an edge over the other candidates.
How to prepare for an Interview –
- Go through your resume carefully.
- Most of the questions will be from your resume itself.
- Be sure to know everything mentioned in the resume.
- Prepare for introductory questions like –
- Tell us something about yourself.
- Work experience.
- Family background.
- Apart from these prepare for general questions like –
- Describe your Skills.
- Tell us about your Strengths and weaknesses.
- Issued faced in the previous company.
- How do you account for yourself as a team player?
- Describe the various projects undertaken by you.
- What do you know about our company?
- What do you expect from us?
- Why do you think you are suitable for this job?
- What makes you outshine the other candidates?
- How will our company benefit if we hire you?
- What is your most important achievement?
- Apart from the above there can be a few tricky questions like –
- Any failures faced in the previous company?
- Why are you looking for a job change?
- Current salary and raise percentage?
- Technical questions.
- Preferred job locations and working environment.
- Various specialized training undertaken.
Other tips to help one prepare better for an interview-
- Gather as much information as you can about the company beforehand.
- Research about your role and responsibilities in the company.
- Keep your self updated with the general knowledge and current affairs.
- Dress smartly for an interview –
- For men wear neat trousers with a shirt and a blazer with an appropriate tie.
- For women – Either Indian or Western look. Depending upon the choice it needs to be formal. Make up should be very light.
- Be punctual; try to reach atleast 10 minutes before the scheduled time.
- Carry your CV along with a copy of supporting documents.
- Please keep cell phones on silent mode
- Avoid getting distracted during the interview.
- Be confident during the interview.
- Be yourself and do not try to be someone you are not.
- Do not compare yourself to your friends or other colleagues at work.
- Do not get nervous, behave in a cool and calm manner.
- Show positivity at all times and do not play the blaming game.
- Be attentive and alert during the interview.
- Avoid boasting about your achievements in the previous organization.
Techniques used during the interview –
- The first and simple way is a straight forward interview with normal questions.
- One method is based on demonstration of skills –
- In such an interview you need to give examples as to when you displayed those skills.
- These questions evaluate you as to how you handle different scenarios at workplace.
- Another way is asking out of the box questions which have no relevance.
- Here the imaginative power is being looked at.
- Candidates need to keep a logical and proper approach.
- Candidates should not panic and give absurd reactions.
- Interviewer can start an interview by yelling at you and this is a pressure test.
- Here you need not get furious and start arguments with the interviewer.
- Never loose your cool under any circumstance.
- Stick to your point which should be logical.
- You need to convince them that you can handle extreme pressure situations as well.
What to do after the interview is complete –
- Always thank the interviewer for interviewing you.
- Inform the reference if any, about the interview.
- Thank the reference as well for the same.
- Follow up with the company after a week to ask about the result.
Related Link: How to Prepare Graduate Record Exam and Intermediate Exams