How to prepare for IES – Indian Engineering Services Exam
The IES exam caters to the technical and managerial posts in the Govt. sector of our country. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts this exam. The Union Government of India appoints the candidates based on the results of IES Exam. This is a very prestigious post with the Government of India and the test is given by lakhs of candidates every year. IES is a well sought career for any individual. IES exam is considered to be one of the toughest exams for admissions into the Government sector.
Most of the IES officers are associated with public sector units like roads, railways, manufacturing, power public works etc. Graduates who clear the IES are generally toppers of various Universities in the country. There is limited number of seats under this vacancy. Candidates who are preparing for this exam need to take a look at the following. This will help them on how to prepare for IES exam.
IES Educational Qualification –
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering from recognized University or,
- A M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless communications, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as special subjects.
IES Age Qualification –
- The candidate has to be between 21 -30 years of age while appearing for this exam.
- The upper limit is relaxed for various reservations as per Government rules.
IES Exam centers –
- There are around 40 cities where IES exam is conducted.
- Candidates are requested to check the main UPSC website about their nearest center/city.
- No TA/DA will be aid to candidates for appearing in the exam.
IES Exam Pattern –
- Total marks of the test – 1200
- Written test – 1000 marks
- It will contain descriptive as well as objective type questions.
- The exam will be spread out across 3 days.
- The duration of the total exam is 10 hours.
Paper types for IES –
- Paper -1 – objective type – General ability test. General English only. It will carry 200 marks. 2 hours test. It will be held on day-1
- Paper -2 – objective type – Stream specific test. It will carry 200 marks. 2 hours test. It will be held on day-2
- Paper -3 – objective type – Stream specific test. It will carry 200 marks. 2 hours test. It will be held on day-2
- Paper -4 – objective type – General ability test. It will carry 200 marks. 2 hours test.
- Paper -5 – Conventional type – Stream specific. General English only. It will carry 200 marks. 2 hours test. It will be held on day-3
- Paper -6 – Conventional type – Stream specific. It will carry 200 marks. 2 hours test. It will be held on day-3.
Tips on how to prepare for IES Exam –
1. General English
- Refer to Basic English grammar books to get a better concept.
- Learn atleast 5 new words every day.
- Learn the antonyms and synonyms of these words as well.
- Develop a habit to read the daily newspaper.
- Solve as many old questions as possible.
- Take online tests to improve our score.
2. General Knowledge
- Read newspapers and watch news on TV for at least 1 hour daily.
- Refer to as many GK books as possible.
- Take online mock tests specific to GK exam.
- Practice on speed and accuracy.
- There is no end to knowledge on GK.
3. Preparing for the stream exam
- Each subject of the stream is to be carefully studied.
- During the preparation not a single topic to be left out.
- Refer to previous year’s questions papers as well.
- Try to answer all questions in the mock test.
- There should be enough time at the end to revise your syllabus.
4. IES Personal Interview
- One must have a confident personality.
- Sharpen or harness your logical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Take psychometric tests if possible.
- Some of the questions will be very basic and related to you.
- Be positive at all times and alert during the interview
- The interview also carries 200 marks and is of utmost importance.
Related Link: How to Prepare JAM Exam and GATE Exam
Other Link: Best IES Coaching Institute in Jaipur || Best IES Coaching Classes in Delhi