How to prepare for IAS – Indian Administrative Service
IAS is the most honorable job a person can get in our country. The post itself needs no introduction as such. Everyone knows who and what an IAS officer means. Along with the perks and respect, this is a sought after post because it makes you a part of the decision making of the country. Candidates who are preparing for IAS exam need to take a look at the below mentioned details. This will guide the students on how to prepare for an IAS exam.
IAS Eligibility criteria –
- A candidate must have a bachelor’s degree which is recognized by the State or Central Government.
- Even a degree earned from correspondence course recognized by the Govt. as equivalent to the above is valid.
IAS Age limit –
- General category – maximum 32 years – 6 attempts.
- SC/ST – Relaxation of 5 years – unlimited attempts.
- OBC – Relaxation of 3 years with 9 attempts.
- PH- General – up to 42 years of age with 9 attempts.
- PH-SC/ST – 47 years of age with unlimited attempts.
- PH-OBC – 45 years of age with 9 attempts.
IAS Selection process –
- There are 3 hurdles in total
- The first hurdle is the preliminary test
- Two sections – General studies and Aptitude skills.
- Both tests are multiple choices and will be held online only.
- Minimum qualifying marks are required in both sections.
- Candidates need to make it to the merit list.
- The second hurdle is the Mains examinations.
- There are 9 detailed written examinations.
- These 9 will test the knowledge in language and general awareness.
- The aggregate of this exam is a whopping 1750 marks.
- The final hurdle is the interview
- The interview is of 275 marks and is a game changer.
- Anything and everything will be asked in the interview.
Tips on how to prepare for IAS –
- Candidates need to fill up the UPSC exam.
- Candidates have to clear all 3 rounds and make it to the toppers list to choose IAS option.
- Not everyone who clears the UPSC gets an IAS post.
- Candidates lower in rank will be selected for IPS, Revenue &IFS services.
- Do it smartly and differently from the herd preparing for IAS.
- Read selective books only but very carefully.
- Mix the books up, make small notes.
- Start the preparation early for this exam.
- Minimum 10 hours of study every day is required.
- All previous papers of last few years need to be solved religiously.
- Routine study is the most important aspect in this preparation.
- There must be a proper systematic approach towards preparing for this exam.
- Prepare one subject at a time.
- Do not try to multi task for the IAS exam.
- Evaluate yourself every 15 days to keep yourself on track.
- Read, read and read is the thumb rule here.
- All NCERT books, supplementary books are to be looked at.
- The candidates need to be confident for this exam.
- Candidates need to forget about the world and prepare for this exam.
- Focus is the key to success here.
- The competition is very high and each year only the top candidates in UPSC exams get selected in the IAS carder.
- All hurdles of the exam will test the candidate thoroughly.
- The preliminary round is just a selection round and has no significance in the overall score.
- The course of preliminary round is just a small level of aptitude and basic general awareness.
- In depth general awareness will be checked in the written examinations.
- The written exam is a huge hurdle as it has 9 examinations.
- The hand writing of the candidate should be up to the mark as well.
- There are no second chances in these examinations.
- You can just appear once again the next year.
- The personal Interview is again a huge selection round.
- For the interview a small thing like laces not tied can lead to rejection.
- Candidates need to be fully sharp and aware during the interview.
Related Link: How to Prepare Human Resource Exam and IPS Exam
Other link: Top IAS Coaching Institute in Jaipur | Top IAS Coaching Institute In Kota